Saturday, October 20, 2012

Big Bigfoot Photo Discussion

Readers will know I am skeptical of Bigfoot. While Robert Pyle's book Where Bigfoot Walks convinced me a large primate in N. America wasn't impossible from an ecological point of view, it still seemed unlikely that we have missed such a species, even if it's smart, wary, and rare.  Since the Patterson/Gimlin film of 1967 (still hotly disputed) there have been countless fuzzy films and photos - Loren Coleman calls them "blobsquatches" - that I took one look at and dismissed.
But one from Washington is kind of interesting. 
For one thing, I know one expedition member, Lori Simmons, who was a local addition to the cryptozoologists led by Adam Davies. The one thing I can testify to is that Lori is honest and this wasn't a hoax on her part. 
They were camped at a public campground, with an infrared camera trap in place, and something walked through the frame, bent over the sleeping-bagged expedition members, and moved on.   The shape is about five feet high. I'd class it as human except its brightness on the infrared is fairly even all over the body which tends to indicate the consistent surface temperature of a warm body, and I'd assume a human in a hoodie or parka would show at least a small change where the pants begin.   I don't have the expertise to be definitve, though. 
The original links published with this post are no longer operative. The Bigfoot News post here dismisses the incident completely.  
(EDITED 2021 with updated links and text) 

2 comments:

Laurence Clark Crossen said...

This looks like the common type of blobsquatch wearing a parka with hood while sitting at a picnic table. Expeditions are plagued with pranksters. It seems the best reason we have for entertaining the possibility of Bigfoot is the most credible of first person eye witness reports. What do you think of Matthew Johnson's sighting? This is much more worthwhile considering than a blobsquatch in a parka visiting an expedition. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9HHjXk0t34

Matt Bille said...

Johnson's sighting was veru interesting - I mentioned it in my last book as sparking renewed interest in the creature. Apparently he, like so many others, got bogged down in the fratricidal politics of sasquatch research, and I understand he's distanced himself somewhat. I would still class that sighting as "unexplained."